Marketing Top Tips x5 tip series #36-40
- ‘To be or not to be, that is the question’ rise above your competitors. Hamlet had his eye on the competition, have you?’
- Why would someone actually buy from you, your brand needs to represent this from all touchpoints?
- Your sales team can give you valuable insights to your business’ marketing and vice versa, get them to work together more closely, it will surprise you.
- Marketing – Identify a problem to ATTRACT, identify several solutions to EDUCATE, uncover a PRODUCT to convert, only then, sell to CLOSE
- Anticipate changes in the market, drive the band wagon, how does this apply to your business? Think about it.
Marketing Top Tips 36.
‘’To be or not to be, that is the question’ rise above your competitors. Hamlet had his eye on the competition, have you?’
Do you want to be the same as your competition, or do you want to rise above them. Be different and beat them into submission. Hamlet knew that his step father was a real threat when vying for his mother’s affections. He kept his eye on the competition, then took steps to defeat them.
This is a little extreme I know, but your marketing can be your weapon, it can be developed secretly to disrupt the competition. The message here is not to be complacent in your approach, refresh your marketing, employ some professionals to provide your strategy.
Marketing Top Tips 37.
‘Why would someone actually buy from you, your brand needs to represent this from all touchpoints?’
I know I keep approaching this from a different angle, but branding is a complicated thing. I will say once again, your branding represents several things over many touch points. It is not just your logo printed on a mug, why would someone actually buy from you, be honest with yourself.
Everything about your brand and its end product should be amplified. This can be done through your logo, visuals, stationary, livery, signage, customer service, sales and more. The experience needs to be remembered positively, even if it was a serious customer service issue. It is how you react to these issues that remain the memorable experience. If your customers remember you, what you stand for and how you treated them, it will be easier for them to recommend you. Ask your customers about everything, then take steps to improve it, your touch points are your marketing too.
Marketing Top Tips 38.
‘Your sales team can give you valuable insights to your business’ marketing and vice versa, get them to work together more closely, it will surprise you.’
Now I’ve worked in large businesses and I’ve heard salespeople gossiping. ‘What on earth is the marketing department doing, this is ridiculous?!!!’ I’ve also heard the marketing department saying, ‘why on earth aren’t the salespeople converting all those great leads we are providing for them, they must be rubbish at closing!!!?’
The answers to these questions are simple. THEY ARE NOT WORKING TOGETHER. The new buzzword is SMARKETING, where two departments can discuss why and how they are doing something. Maybe the leads are providing the wrong kind of client, or they are not engaged with the marketing enough to buy yet. Maybe the sales team don’t understand the marketing messages in order to use them effectively for closure. If sales and marketing agree to communicate, and to target each other’s needs to hit mutual targets, the whole process will become much more successful. A ‘smarketing’ SLA or ‘service level agreement’ can really make a difference. Put both teams in a room together, but don’t forget to provide relaxed lighting and joss sticks!
Marketing Top Tips 39.
‘Marketing – Identify a problem to ATTRACT, identify several solutions to EDUCATE, uncover a PRODUCT to convert, only then, sell to CLOSE’
Its best to explain this through 3 simple steps based around inbound marketing. The sales person need to refresh these before they close in the 4th step.
- Attract customers first by identifying problems, issues, needs, do not sell yet
- Identify solutions to problems, keep it light, give choices, educate the potential customer
- Uncover products that fill the need, solve the issue or the problem
- Once you have converted this interested party to a lead, it needs to be qualified by the sales team. If it is a bad lead it goes back into the marketing loop. If it is good, the sales person must cover the steps above once again, listen, summarize, educate, listen again, summarize, test interest, provide solution, uncover product, test interest once again, then close.
Marketing Top Tips 40.
‘Anticipate changes in the market, drive the band wagon, how does this apply to your business? Think about it.’
Make sure you position your listening posts out there in the field. Listen to the markets and what your customers are saying. Keep an eye out on the media, print, radio and TV. Note down trends, mark sections in magazines and articles, read blogs and daily marketing trends. Look at how others digest marketing. Follow or get ahead of the competition, start your own band wagon and get ahead of the pioneers, get to the greenest pitch first. If you can’t get ahead, follow quickly, it should enable you to grab your share of the market before the stragglers pick up the tidbits. If your there first, there will be nothing left for the others. Corner the market, corner the competition, drive the market with some creative but logical anticipation. You could follow your own path with some disruptive marketing, however, this is a whole different conversation.
Your Call to ‘Marketing Action’
If you want to discuss your business marketing in more detail, why not call us here @ The Marketing People on 01543 495752. Ask Richard about our free ‘business focus’ consultation. Alternatively email firstname.lastname@example.org
Challenge yourself, challenge your business, create more opportunities to sell.