Currently there is no way to moderate comments on Facebook business page’s. This means any comment posted will be visible, there is no way of keeping a comment private until you view it and approve it.
Understandably, this can make some people feel a little uneasy and unsure of whether they should create a Facebook business page incase a negative comment is posted.
This post will explain a few options you have to control comment posting.
Facebook page moderation blocklist.
Facebook page settings give you the option of creating a list of ‘blocked words’, which in theory means you could prevent any negative comments being posted on your walls if you blocked negative words like ‘bad’ or ‘awful’.
Any comments containing any of the blocked words will be flagged as spam and will not be posted to the page wall.
There is also the option the block profanities, which has two settings; medium and strong.
You can do this by;
- Viewing your page and clicking on the ‘Edit page’ icon in the top right hand corner of the page.
- This will take you to the ‘Manage permissions’ tab where you will be able to edit your moderation blocklist and profanity blocklist as shown in the image above.
As mentioned at the beginning of the post, there’s no way to hold a comment for moderation on a Facebook page but there are a couple of commenting settings you can tweak.
You could go all out and block comments entirely by removing the posting ability by unticking the ‘People can write or post content on the wall’ box
You can alter the page people land on when they go to your Facebook page.
Instead of them being taken straight to the page wall, visitors could be taken to a welcome page and then choose the page they want to visit.
These features can be accessed by:
- Viewing your Facebook page and clicking on ‘Edit page’ in the top right hand corner.
- You will then automatically be taken to the ‘Manage Permissions’ tab where you can alter the ‘Default landing tab’ and the ‘Posting ability’.
If you decide not to disable comments and you’re concerned about negative comments, there are a couple of things you can do to limit damage.
The comment can be removed by hovering over the comment and clicked the world icon and then selecting ‘delete post’.
Alternatively you could just hide the post or report it as abuse if you consider it to be abusive.
The page settings can be altered, so an email will be sent as soon as someone comments on something on the page. The comment can then be read and decision can be made over whether to keep it on the page or delete it.
This can be done by;
- Viewing your page and clicking on the ‘Edit page’ button.
- Then select ‘Your settings’ from the tab on the left hand side.
- When you are taken to this page you will be able to check the box saying ‘Email notifications’.
It’s a shame Facebook don’t allow full comment moderation, it would make people feel much more comfortable and happier about putting their brand out there, knowing a negative comment would never have to be seen by the public.
Remember you can find us on facebook, twitter and pinterest for all our latest social media updates. Or if you feel you may need a little advice with your own social media, whether that’s getting started, or refreshing your knowledge, give us a call on 01543 495752 for a no obligation chat.